The Quangsheng No.5 jack plane is designed to be used across the grain, its weakest direction, to correct twists, cupping and bowing and bring the board close to the finished dimension. The blade should be honed with a camber to leave a scalloped surface, this minimises the amount of material you need to remove with the longer No.6 or No.7 planes to bring the board to size.
The narrow 2" blade of the No.5 makes it easier to push so you can take a fairly deep bite with each pass. For true jack planing work it is the more sensible choice.
Quangsheng bedrock pattern handplanes, unlike the more common Bailey pattern, have a full contact area between the body and the frog, hence the name 'bedrock'. The frog can also be adjusted to widen or narrow the mouth of the plane without the need to remove the irons. Simply loosen the two locking screws on either side at the back of the frog, adjust the central screw to set your desired mouth opening and then nip up the side screws again. This system is easier, faster, much more accurate, and less likely to damage the cutting edge.
- Precision ground, unbreakable CR40 alloy steel casting
- Engineered lateral adjuster with guide bearing and brass tab
- Low profile cap iron
- Brushed finish stainless steel lever cap
- Cherry wood handles
- Conforms to British Standard
- Sole Dimensions 14in x 27⁄16 in (355mm x 62mm)
- ⅛ in (3mm) thick 2 in (50.8mm) cutting iron made from T10 carbon steel hardened to RC63
Please note that we are unable to ship Quangsheng products to North America due to retail exclusivity restrictions.